Metamucil Orange Smooth Fibre 48 Doses 283g. Aust R 47537
Multi-Health Fibre with 100% Natural Psyllium
- Feel lighter and more active
- Helps body’s natural toxin removal process via cleansing effect
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Is a daily cleanser for your insides
HOW METAMUCIL WORKS?
WHY IS METAMUCIL THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU?
METAMUCIL CONTAINS 100% NATURAL PSYLLIUM FIBRE
Introduced in 1934, Metamucil®, with 100% natural psyllium fibre, has long been known as a laxative. Fast-forward 80 years. Today, Metamucil® is known as the is the leading fibre supplement brand in Australia that provides a natural way to maintain daily regularity.
- Feel lighter and more active
- Helps body’s natural toxin removal process via cleansing effect.
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Is a daily cleanser for your insides
Metamucil has a new look, but is still the same great fibre supplement that you’ve come to know. We updated our packaging across all Metamucil products and added a new claim - Feel lighter and more active*Metamucil provides you with all the following healthful benefits:
Feel lighter and more active
Helps body’s natural toxin removal process via cleansing effect
Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels
Is a daily cleanser for your insides
2. How does Metamucil help me feel lighter and more active?
Metamucil contains psyllium husk, a gel-forming fibre which traps and removes waste from your body, and cleanses your insides to help you feel lighter and more active.
3. How can Metamucil help to cleanse my insides?
If you take Metamucil every day, it will naturally help the elimination of unwanted waste from your body to keep your digestive system clean. Metamucil contains Psyllium Husk which provides the bulk to the digested food which helps it move through the digestive tract at a normal rate, and relieves constipation.* Clinical studies have shown that 7 grams of soluble fibre from Psyllium Husk, as found in Metamucil, taken daily as part of a heart-healthy diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may lower cholesterol. Reductions in cholesterol may contribute to reducing the risk of heart disease.
4. What does 100 percent natural fibre mean?
Metamucil powders contain Psyllium Husk, a natural dietary fibre originating from the psyllium plant. It works in the same way as high fibre foods. It provides the bulk to digested food which helps it move through the digestive tract at a normal rate, and relieves constipation.* Clinical studies have shown that 7 grams of soluble fibre from Psyllium Husk, as found in Metamucil, taken daily as part of a heart-healthy diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may lower cholesterol. Reductions in cholesterol may contribute to reducing the risk of heart disease.
5. Is it OK to take Metamucil with food? Should I take it before or after meals?
Any time of day is appropriate to take Metamucil as long as an adequate intake of fluids (at least 250ml of water or liquid per serving) is consumed. We recommend taking Metamucil three times per day at mealtimes as a convenient way to remember to take Metamucil. Our powdered product must be mixed with liquids, not taken in its dry form. Capsules should be taken one at a time; we do not recommend dissolving them in water. Please take Metamucil with at least 250ml of liquid, as indicated.
6. Is it OK to use Metamucil every day?
As a dietary fibre supplement:Metamucil can be taken every day as a dietary fibre supplement. If you are considering use of Metamucil as part of a cholesterol-lowering program, please consult a doctor before using.As a fibre laxative:Metamucil is indicated for treating occasional constipation. Constipation persisting beyond seven days may be a sign of a more serious condition. We recommend you discuss with your doctor the use of Metamucil as a fibre laxative on a long-term basis.
7. If Psyllium Husk is a carbohydrate, why do Metamucil Capsules contain ~1% net carbs?
In strict scientific terms, natural psyllium fibre is a polysaccharide that is a subclass of carbohydrates. Although psyllium fibre is part of the carbohydrate total, it is, in fact, very different from carbohydrates such as sugar, glucose, fruit sugar, corn syrups, and starches. This is because our gastrointestinal enzymes cannot digest psyllium; therefore, our bodies do not absorb it and do not convert it into glucose.
8. What are net carbs?
Net carbs are digestible carbohydrates that affect blood sugar. To find out how many net carbs something has, you simply subtract the amount of dietary fibre from the total number of carbohydrates. (Also subtract the amount of sugar alcohol and glycerine if they are included in the total carbohydrates count.)
9. Do Metamucil Capsules have ~1% net carbs?
Yes, because they are made up of 100% natural fibre. Dietary fibre is not absorbed by the human body and is not converted into blood sugar.
10. What is the dosage/serving size for Metamucil?
Adults: Children 6-11 years: Children under 6 years:Take/mix one dose with/in 250ml of liquid at the first sign of irregularity. Can be taken up to the three times daily if needed. Generally produces results in 12 to 72 hours. Take 1/2 adult dose with/in 250ml of liquid. To be take 1 to 3 times daily on medical advice. Consult a doctor.When using as a fibre supplement:Adults: Children under 12 years:
Take one serving in 250ml of liquid for Powders or Capsules, 1-3 times daily. Consult a doctor.Product Serving Size/DoseAdults 12 years + 1 spoon = 5ml medicinal measuring spoonsCapsules 6 CapsulesOrange Granular 2 spoonsOrange Smooth 1 1/2 spoonsNatural Granular 2 spoonsLemon Lime Smooth 1 1/2 spoons
11. Why is the dosage/serving size different for Granular and Smooth Powders?
All Metamucil powder products contain the same amount of Psyllium Husk per dose—3.4 grams. However, dosage/serving size amounts differ by variant because the sweeteners and flavourings used in each Metamucil product vary in volume.
12. Can Metamucil be used past the expiry date?If your Metamucil has expired, please don't use it. The expiry date is on Metamucil because we have research to show that the ingredients are stable until the expiration date, if stored according to label instructions. Please discard any expired product in your rubbish bin. Do not pour Metamucil down your drain.Depending on the variant you purchased, Metamucil has a two- to three-year shelf life. The expiration date is stamped on the bottom of each canister or bottle. The expiration dates are expressed by month and year, which means that the product can be used through the month indicated.
13. What is the difference between Smooth Texture and Granular Texture?
Smooth Texture Metamucil is ground into finer particles than Granular Texture Metamucil. Both have the same amount of psyllium and the same efficacy. Because of individual taste differences, you may prefer either the Smooth or the Granular Metamucil.
14. What is maltodextrin?
The maltodextrin in Metamucil is a carbohydrate derived from cornstarch. It is used to improve texture and aid in mixing.
15. How does Metamucil work as a laxative?
Metamucil contains a bulk-forming fibre without any chemical stimulants. The active ingredient, psyllium, is a harvested grain that absorbs and holds moisture. This causes the psyllium to swell, supplying the necessary bulk to help form an easily eliminated stool. Metamucil will not cause immediate evacuation but generally produces an effect in 12 to 72 hours.
16. Is there any scientific or medical evidence for the heart health claim?
We have extensive scientific data including numerous clinical studies to determine that Psyllium Husk, as in Metamucil, when taken as part of a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, may reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels.
17. How soon should I expect to lower my cholesterol with soluble fibre from Psyllium Husk when combined with a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol?
Clinical studies have shown that a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, plus the recommended 7 grams of soluble fibre from Psyllium Husk per day, may result in a modest change in your blood total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol within several weeks (approximately one month). We recommend that you talk to your doctor about your current blood cholesterol levels and determine when you should be checked again.
18. How much do diets containing soluble fibre from Psyllium Husk lower cholesterol if taken as directed?
In clinical studies, the cholesterol-lowering benefit of soluble fibre from psyllium, when taken as directed and combined with a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, was four to six percent for blood total cholesterol and about four to eight percent for LDL (bad) cholesterol versus a low-fat diet alone. No change is expected in HDL (good) cholesterol based on available data.
19. Why should I talk to my doctor before I take Metamucil to lower cholesterol?
We recommend that you contact your doctor before using Metamucil as part of a diet to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering cholesterol. There are many factors that your doctor will need to consider including your health, medical and family history, lifestyle, and other risk factors. Your doctor is the best person to advise you.
20. How does Metamucil lower cholesterol?
The mechanism for reducing elevated cholesterol is complex, but studies tend to indicate that the following is one of the primary ways it works. First, soluble fibre in psyllium, the active ingredient in Metamucil, traps and eliminates excess bile acids. Bile acids are made from cholesterol and are used in digestion. Then, to replace the bile acids that were eliminated, cholesterol is pulled from the bloodstream to make more bile acids and thus your blood cholesterol is lowered. High total cholesterol is a recognized risk factor for heart disease.
21. Why do I have to take so many capsules at a time for Metamucil Fibrecaps?
You need to take the appropriate number of capsules to get the amount of psyllium needed to provide the health benefits you are seeking.
22. Will Metamucil cause diarrhea? Isn’t it a laxative?
Metamucil simply provides a concentrated way to get the natural fibre your body needs. It contains a concentrated natural therapeutic fibre, psyllium, which supplies the necessary bulk to help form an easily eliminated stool. It is NOT a chemical stimulant. Taking Metamucil up to 3 times a day will not cause the unwanted side effects of diarrhoea or dependency, like some stimulant laxatives. However, it's important to discuss with your doctor exactly how much Metamucil you should take daily.
* Always read the label, use only as directed. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.
** Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 7 grams of soluble fibre from psyllium husk, as in Meta products, may lower cholesterol levels. Reductions in cholesterol levels may contribute to reducing the risk of heart disease. Consult a doctor if you are planning to take Meta products as part of a cholesterol lowering program.
^ Whorwell Clinical Trial, UK 2006. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006 Jul;101(7):1581-90
There are no reviews for this product yet. Please write a review here.